[Gambas-user] Gambas setup compile and install script.

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 04:15:46 CEST 2020

Just as a matter of interest, why don't you check for the libraries
> rather than the packages. automake knows nothing of packages, the only
> time you need a particular distro package is when some library or dev
> header  is missing. The packages that contain the library can and
> sometimes do chnage at the whim of the distro.

Because i'm detecting whether a package manager has installed Gambas
already or not before doing the 'make install' to avoid conflicts.
I thought that was the concern?
Like you say automake cannot tell if the library in /usr/lib/gambas3 was
installed via package installer or make.
Also 'which' cannot tell what installed gbx3 if it's found. so that's not
what i'm after either, i need to know if existing installed gambas was
installed via make or distro..
The way i am doing it returns nothing if gambas is installed via make. but
returns a list of package names installed by the package manager that need
to be removed before make installs if they're installed.

Benoit sounded like he was setting me a challenge  ;)
"(unless you can detect if it was installed by package or manually to
remove it, but I don't think so)."

Challenge accepted ;) lol
BruceS