[Gambas-user] Gambas setup compile and install script.

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 21:56:12 CEST 2020

On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 at 13:38, Benoît Minisini <g4mba5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 14/10/2020 à 14:29, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >
> >     1) I think that it should be able to install Gambas from the "tar.gz"
> >     source archive downloadable from the web site too (it's just the one
> >     generated by GitLab).
>

> > Or i could make the script use
> > https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas/-/tree/stable as well as
> > https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas/-/tree/master to offer the choice.
> > Or was there another reason to use the tar ball?
>
> The reason is people who do not want to install git on their system.

Aah i see , okay i will look into there being a choice of git download
method and achive method too.

> to check, and my script can try if the make installed didn't?
>
> "make install" use the xdg commands too. So if yours work but not those
> inside the "Makefile.am" file, then they should be fixed.

I just ran a test on manjaro (archlinux) , I can confirm make install did
not create menu item but my script did. just saying.
For now I have changed the text to say something like "make install Should
have made your menu" if it hasn't we can retry.
I may as well leave it in there for now along side the offer to make a
desktop icon too.

also after running "make uninstall" it left a .component file in
/usr/lib/gambas3 and a number of items in /usr/share/gambas3 causing the
following running of pacman to re-install the gambas-runtime to fail due to
residual files.

> do you want the >std_output.log as well as 2>error.log

> Do as you like. We just need the full output of the process when
> something fails.

I see , understood, there is no information about that being needed on the
wiki.
Tto be fair the only output i diverted to /dev/null was the ./configure
std-out and only if you type 'v' for verbose at that point.
by default all other messages print to terminal as normal.

I could make a "Debug" or "report" type mode. where if user if having
problems it can run non-interactively outputting all data to a log file.

Or a message if a command fails showing the user the failing command and
telling them to type into a terminal the usual way the gambas wiki
instructs to to get the output you want.
I'll see what i can do.