[Gambas-user] Gambas setup compile and install script.

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Tue Oct 13 23:01:44 CEST 2020

Am 13.10.20 um 10:43 schrieb Bruce Steers:

> It's going through a process of evolution/testing right now.
> It's now on version 2.3
> Check out the revision history
> https://github.com/BruceSteers/gambas3-compile-and-install/blob/main/version.txt
>
> I think now it's about ready though.
> it now gives a list of supported distros if your linux type isn't found
> so is automated about as much as can be.
> (no need to manually edit the script now)
>
> Other distros may be added in the future the same way i added Raspbian
> but for now it will ask for the best matching one from the list.
> what do you think Gambas Team?

Didn't try it but I like that idea because I can remember how much I had
to struggle until I had the first self-compiled (and therefore current)
Gambas installation on a computer.

For instance, I had Gambas running on Raspberry Pi's in my firm but gave
that idea up when the only source of current Gambas Apt packages I knew
went offline. To test the compilation on Raspis was definitely too time
consuming, so I had to carry on with small X86 computers and now I have
some useless Pi's lying around and the X86's consume more electricity. :-(

But: AFAICS the many packages of a distribution the compilation depends
on are not installed by your script, right? To get this done is IMO one
of the biggest hurdles if one compiles and installs Gambas on a computer.

And instead of echoing "hopefully all went well and Gambas3 is now
compiled and installed correctly" it should better test if that's the
case. :-)

I think it would not be bad to provide your script by the Gitlab Gambas
site as soon as it is stable and does it's job well. And then set a link
to it from the wiki and so make it 'official'.

But maybe Benoît or someone else has some good arguments against it.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur