[Gambas-user] Gambas setup compile and install script.

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:12:38 CEST 2020

Hi all.
I have written a bash script to help people with cloning / compiling and
installing gambas3 by hand.
http://bws.org.uk/Gambas3-Compile-and-Install.zip
http://bws.org.uk/Gambas-c-and-r-ReadMe.txt

Free for all to use/rip/modify as you please.

Main features...
Can be run from an existing Gambas Gitlab clone dir or will ask for an
existing dir or will download a new clone into current dir.

offers to run git pull first on existing dir.
detects linux distro or can be manually set.
supports ubuntu, mint, debian, archlinux and alpine
added support for Raspbian

Extracts dependency/package list from the ".gitlab-ci.yml" file and custom
./configure commands.

Offers to install dependencies or not.

Asks a simple 'y' or 'n' for each step from ./reconf-all to 'make install'
or you can type 'a' to say yes to all.

Offers to install a desktop icon and/or menu launcher (using xdg and the
/app/desktop files)

All it's lacking..
I'm not sure how to know if user has archlinux or archlinux-clang so have
made a note to set manually if using archlinux.

Possibly more distros could be added.
I added Raspbian by removing the unavailable qtwebengine5-dev debian
package and setting --disable-qt5webview to the ./configure command.
other distros could be added the same way but i don't have any other
distros to try it on.

Hopefully this will help get some more folks on the latest commits who
cannot ppa install.
or those who want to compile gambas and have tried but failed.

Please let me know if you try it and it works or fails.
tested on debian, mint, raspbian

Cheers all :)
BruceS