[Gambas-user] Keeping repositories up to date

Cedron Dawg cedron at exede.net
Wed Oct 7 16:51:46 CEST 2020

This is something I don't have the facilities, capabilities, or time to do.  However, I think this is a hugely under prioritized aspect of Gambas proliferation.

For instance, I just started working with a Raspberry Pi 4 (or two).  The version of Gambas for Raspbian is 3.12.2, significantly out of date.  I also tried doing a Manjero 20 install, quite successfully.  However, there was *no* Gambas in the repository for that.  :-(  So I had to roll back to Raspbian (a much more simplistic distro) for my second Pi4.

It would seem that it should be possible to store the latest Gambas "Tar balls" somewhere that could be downloaded an installed as an alternative to keeping the actual repositories up to date.

I think it is entirely unreasonable to expect folks to have to learn how to do their own compiles in order to accomplish this, or force them to do the actual compiles which I understand can be quite time consuming.

Thoughts?