[Gambas-user] gambas not installed by package manager problems.

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 20:44:01 CET 2020

It's a bit of a problem if you have compiled and installed gambas manually
and not just installed via package manager.

On my system i can use theGambas "Create Installation package" function and
create an installation package but i cannot use it as the .deb file it
makes then checks the dpkg database for what i have installed and does not
find anything gambas so gives errors.

Nor can i use any other .deb package installer for anything gambas.

On my system because i have compiled gambas i cannot use apt-get to install
anything made by the gambas packager. I also have to be careful that
nothing tries to install/update a gambas dependency/component without
checking first as it will try.
For example if an installer just runs..
apt-get install gambas3-gb-form
usually if it's already installed it just does not bother installing but in
my case it will try as it does not know i already have it.
Probably a situation i won't end up in but it's possible if some one has
not written good enough code.

If only there was a way to trick apt into thinking gambas was there.

Bruce.