[Gambas-user] Thoughts on new debug with command line parameters

Tony Morehen tmorehen at ajm-software.com
Sat May 30 15:49:50 CEST 2020

On 2020-05-30 3:37 a.m., Christof Thalhofer wrote:
> Am 30.05.20 um 10:05 schrieb Brian G:
>
>> I don't think I am enamored with the new debug with parameters process.
>> When I am working on a module that takes command like parameters and am
>> debugging it. Having to click three times for every round of testing is
>> a little annoying. Why has this been changed.
>> It was great for debugging the old way, set it and just go till done
>> with debug session.
>>
>> Feels more like work the new way.....
> I agree. If we were able to select (or deselect) the argument in the
> form 'Run with arguments' that had to be run automatically when F5 was
> hit, that would be a lot better.
>
> But I find the new dialog to be a great improvement over the old one,
> with which I despaired a couple of times. Also that it's not in the
> 'Project' dialog any more is a great improvement for me.
>
> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer
>
> On 2020-05-30 3:37 a.m., Christof Thalhofer wrote:
>> Am 30.05.20 um 10:05 schrieb Brian G:
>>
>>> I don't think I am enamored with the new debug with parameters process.
>>> When I am working on a module that takes command like parameters and am
>>> debugging it. Having to click three times for every round of testing is
>>> a little annoying. Why has this been changed.
>>> It was great for debugging the old way, set it and just go till done
>>> with debug session.
>>>
>>> Feels more like work the new way.....
>> I agree. If we were able to select (or deselect) the argument in the
>> form 'Run with arguments' that had to be run automatically when F5 was
>> hit, that would be a lot better.
>>
>> But I find the new dialog to be a great improvement over the old one,
>> with which I despaired a couple of times. Also that it's not in the
>> 'Project' dialog any more is a great improvement for me.
>>
>> Alles Gute
>>
>> Christof Thalhofer
>>
>> ----[ http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/netiquette ]----

I agree.  Leave the debug dialog where it is but return the run button=2
to its previous menubutton style.

Other thoughts:

Please make the menu selection mode checked rather than radio. This
would let you select multiple commandline parameters, which you can't do
now.

Say you want a command like: drive --speed 50 --destination "New York". =2
All you can do now is provide one parameter "--speed 50 --destination
\"New York\"", which seems to be treated as Exec ["drive","--speed 50
--destination \"New York\""], not Shell "drive --speed 50 --destination
\"New York\"".  A multiple selection approach would let you construct
the appropriate Exec command.

An alternative, perhaps better, approach, would be to add simple
shell-like parsing to the parameter, i.e. treat "--speed 50
--destination \"New York\"" as Exec
["drive","--speed","50","--destination","New York"].  However, this
would still miss Shell's wildcard extensions.

A third approach would be to abandon the Exec treatment for a Shell
treatment.

-- Email domain proudly hosted at https://migadu.com