[Gambas-user] Request for new property z-order of the DesktopWindow object

John Rose john.aaron.rose at gmail.com
Fri May 29 09:08:02 CEST 2020

Unfortunately I'm not able to include a screenshot of this due to size
constraints of messages here. So I'll describe it as best I can. The
Temporary window partially covers the Gambas window (i.e. is higher in
the windows' stacking order), and the Gambas window is physically above
(i.e. on the screen) the Temporary window. As the Gambas DesktopWindow
object is returned before the Temporary DesktopWindow object when the
FindWindow method is invoked in the FMain form's Form_Open event of my
app: each DesktopWindow returned being stored in an array. Thus, the
first DesktopWindow in that array (found by coding for the MouseUp event
in a DrawingArea of the SelectWindow form (called by the FMain form
which has its Expanded property set to true) - when the user clicks on
the overlapping area (so that the position of the mouse will be in both
desktop windows) - will be the Gambas DesktopWindow: this will be the
selected window. I want the Temporary window to be the selected window
as it's on top (i.e. higher in the Stacking Order) of the Gambas window;
currently the Temporary window is selected as evidenced by the Console
at runtime. Obviously I still want the Gambas window to be the selected
window when the user clicks on any point in it outside the overlapping
area. From the user's point of view, this seems to me to be the logical
behaviour of the app.

I've attached my app. I've started coding in the MouseUp event using a
Shell command to call xprop in order to determine which window is on
top. This needs a fair amount of extra coding as the data returned from
xprop has to evaluated against the windows data (e.g. stacking order
from xprop versus window positions stored in the array). It seems to me
that if each DesktopWindow had a z-order property (to determine its
priority in the windows' stacking order) then this coding would be much
easier. I think that I vaguely remember a z-order property in VB: but
this could be wishful thinking!
--
John
07476 041418