[Gambas-user] Gambas on Windows

Rolf-Werner Eilert rwe-sse at osnanet.de
Wed Jan 22 15:53:03 CET 2020

Am 22.01.20 um 13:33 schrieb Martin Cristia:
> Hi Dmitry,
> I also tried is on a laptop with W10 installed. It was fairly easy to
> have an Ubuntu 19 running and the last Gambas via ppa. XMing seems out
> of date but works. Not a good experience, graphics , fonts are too small
> mostly. But the important part is that most of my program don’t work due
> to file’s path conflicts, JIT, components, ets.  I made a new from wih
> some controls in it and  that worked ffine, but with it keep freezing
> unexpectedly. So the conclusion is that it wont work for a serious
> project or it may take a huge adaptation for the new environment.
>
> Have a good day
>
> Martin

I haven't proceeded as far as you did, Martin, but at least I managed to
install Gambas and VcXsrv. Everything runs fine, the only thing is that
I can start WSL and all Xserver application under Admin rights only. If
you happen to know how to fix this, please let me know. I am not so
experienced with modern Windows.

When installing Gambas, a whole bunch of libraries is installed with it,
such as the core GTK and Qt libraries. The Gambas IDE can be started,
and a simple first project runs. The whole appearence is somewhat...
well, crude, like an old TclTK or GTK application, but alas, it runs.

There is one thing I could not solve yet, i. e. mounting a drive which
is a Samba drive on the windows host. I have mounted one Linux server's
partition as drive Y: on the Windows to have access to student data
otherwise managed by Linux software on the server itself. For my
project, I would need access to this drive.

So WSL would have to mount Y:. Any idea how to achieve this?

Regards
Rolf