[Gambas-user] Gambas on Windows

Admin admin at allunix.ru
Fri Jan 10 06:07:09 CET 2020

I am using Gambas to write programs for Windows for quite some time now.
It is excellent. Before I had to port everything to Visual Basic, then I
used the way, which to this day is official - Cygwin. But for a long
time now, since you don't even have to be a Windows Insider Preview
member to install WSL on Windows 10, everybody can do it in one click
using Windows Store, software just works. I just use simple kernel
version detection like this:

Dim kernel As String
Dim isWindows As Boolean
Shell "uname -a" To kernel
If InStr(kernel, "Microsoft") Then isWindows = True

Knowing I am in Windows I can call any exe file I want, for example
Shell("notepad.exe") just opens Windows Notepad. I can also call any
console Windows command like ping.exe and pipe it right away like
ping.exe 10.10.10.1 | grep Destination - and it works perfectly.

I use Xming started with Windows startup and create .lnk Desktop
Shortcuts to my graphical software simply like this:

C:\Windows\System32\wsl.exe DISPLAY=:0 LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 myprogramm.gambas

so my software written in Gambas just runs on Windows Desktop by simply
double-clicking it. It's that simple

So, my point is: isn't it time to officialy call it a way to run Gambas
in Windows instead of Cygwin? I mean I know, that Cygwin is more
universal, but it also is more complicated and Windows 10 became defacto
standard for Windows machines already.

It feels kinda lonely without any official documentation on this type of
operation :-)

Best regards

Dmitry Bachilo.