[Gambas-user] 2 questions about making an Installation Packet

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Fri Feb 14 17:06:15 CET 2020

Am 14.02.20 um 16:02 schrieb T Lee Davidson:

> Couldn't this problem be resolved by making a package from the
> self-compiled version of Gambas and installing that (as opposed to
> `make install`)? This way the package manager would recognize that
> Gambas is already installed.

Not always, see below.

> It doesn't make sense to me to tag an interpreter as recommended when
> it is a dependency.

Yes. I think you are right. I thought the usage of "Recommends:"
theoretically would not harm in any way.

To explain the background:

I package a couple of programs for Debian/Ubuntu machines, some of them
as components in the normal way to package things with the Gambas IDE.

If I would like to try out a new Gambas development version, maybe to
test, if it breaks any of my programs or something else, I cannot remove
the distributions Gambas whithout removing these programs and I cannot
install one of these without installing Gambas from the distribution.

But anyway: I just read the admin handbook of Debian:

> https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.package-meta-information.html

They are clear in their advice:

"The “recommended” dependencies, the most important, considerably
improve the functionality offered by the package but are not
indispensable to its operation."

So my idea is against the Debian way. Please forget it.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur