[Gambas-user] 2 questions about making an Installation Packet

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Fri Feb 14 10:31:56 CET 2020

Am 13.02.20 um 16:31 schrieb Rolf-Werner Eilert:

> There are two questions I have about making an Installation Packet from
> a Gambas project.
>
> 1. Will the package automatically install Gambas if Gambas is not yet on
> the system? And if yes, which version - the one from the repos or the
> one you recommend?

I can speak for Debian/Ubuntu. Yes it installs Gambas. It will deny to
install at all if the distributions version of Gambas is too old.

The Reason lies in this line in the Debian control file inside the
created package, for instance:

> Depends: gambas3-runtime (>= 3.14), gambas3-runtime (<< 3.99.0)

"Depends" is the strictest instruction for Debian, it forces the
installation of the dependent.

For me this is always a pain in the ass if there is a self-compiled
version of Gambas on the machine, because the package manager doesn't
recognize that and will install the version of the distribution over it
which likely will crash the whole Gambas installation on that system.

This is one of the reasons for me why I create my Debian packages via
GNU Make and shell scripts and not by the IDE.

Btw (@Benoît and others):

Wouldn't it be better to use "recommends" or even "suggests" in the
Debian control file instead of "depends"?

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur