[Gambas-user] Hello! Thanks!

Serban Stanescu sserbanro at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 12:08:21 CET 2020

*Hello everybody!**
*

1. My name is Şerban Stănescu, I am from România and I just started
learning Gambas.
"Ş" in my name is spelled as --> EN: Sh, FR: ch and "ă", like the first
two letters in "another".
Since my French is poor, I'll stick to English.

*2. I just wanted to say "Thanks" to the Admin: Thanks Benoît!*
And *a warm <HELLO!> to all people around here!*

*3. My programming skills*... Are poor. I am a self-taught, so lower
your expectations.
I have some experience though...
I started learning with VB (5.5? That was back in 1995), then I tried my
hand with some CPP (C++)
and then I tried *RapidQ*, which I really loved. Same concept as Gambas,
but... for Windows. Long story, so I'll skip it.
That was till 22-07-2012, when I moved for good to Linux. Never used
Windows since.
Sometime ago, I found Gambas. One month ago, I started learning.
Had lots of trouble with the documentation, but I managed to rebuild
from scratch a program
I made years ago in RapidQ, called /*CD Manager*/ (was listed on
nonags.com and got 5 ducks out of 6).
It is a simple program, designed to list directories and save results
into .txt files, for archive information management purposes.
It allwes me to search the DirLists (hence the name: *DirLister*) and
then perform various searches for WhatEverRequired,
list the results, save the list, narrow the search and so on.

It's easier to find a file in such a list than mangling with media. And
my archives, exceed 2 TB of data.
So, if you grasp the idea of looking for a needle in a hay stack, you
understand my point.
Here are 2 screenshots:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2697670833614144
I chose the URL due to image size. I guess the list supports some 250 K
files so adding many files lead to a waste of space.

_*4. To Benoît.*_

*A. Amazing RAD!* Has more than I dreamed of!
*B. The [Dir] class* has a flaw. I needed a flag to exclude some
files/directories. Among the constants it is required a
[gbListCurrentUser],
otherwise the program rises the [Access Denied] error when encountering
say, "root/root" or other owner than the current user.
Using the App as Root on the other hand, it's something to better avoid,
except for experienced users.

*C. The [Dialog] class.* It took me a lot of time (many hours!) to
figure out that the [Dialog.SelectDirectory()] class is actually the
[Dialog.OpenFile()] stripped down. Bad programming choice, since if you
use the <Dialog.Filer =[...]> somewhere and then you try to open a
directory.
the dialog shown is crippled and useless. You first need to issue a
dummy call of the class with <Dialog.Filer =[""]> in order to delete the
previous filters.
The "Choose Directory" dialog will never ever show, but you can select a
directory in this way. If possible (= can do it in a reasonable time),
change the hierarchy of the classes and make [SelectDirectory] the
superclass and then add the prototypes for [OpenFile] and create the
subclass for this control.
This way you avoid similar collisions and who-knows-what-else...

*D. SearchBox for the documentation site.* Sorry, but using the
documentation is such a curse! The only option is to move back and forth
through pages,
looking for WHAT? How is anyone supposed to know what he's looking for,
supposedly that the "something" really is there?
Does anyone expect from someone NEW to Gambas to know already
everything? If so, what's the purpose of the documentation?
It takes about 300% more time to find something IF you'tre lucky enough.
Otherwise, it takes up to 10 times more time moving back and forth
through countless pages, in the hope you'll find something useful.
A SEARCH function, very much like in
https://lists.gambas-basic.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi, would solve the problem.
Also, in the built-in Help, would be very helpful a SEARCH function.

Best regards!
Şerban