[Gambas-user] BSD gambas compile

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 20:04:48 CET 2020

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020, Bruce Steers wrote:
> i found and fixed problem :)
> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/blob/master-bsd/main/Makefile.am

Could you explain what the problem was? Was it a GNU-, bash-, Linux-ism in
the script or something else entirely? The diff of that commit [1] doesn't
make sense to me. Why would removing a layer of dollars on *some* shell
variables fix anything? Moreover, do they not get expanded too soon now?

What the trunk_version.h feature does is put version control data into the
output of the compiler and interpreter version, in addition to the Gambas
version string, i.e. if you compile from a git repository, you get:

  $ main/gbc/gbc3 --version
  3.14.90 46625f446 (gb.test.tap)

Sorry to bother, but I don't have a BSD available. But if I had I would try
to make a *fresh* clone of your master-bsd branch and run the routine

  cd main && ./reconf && ./configure && make trunk_version.h && cat trunk_version.h

to check if that problem really is fixed. If you then build the compiler or
interpreter and call it with the --version flag, you should see your current
commit "fdff17b00" and the "master-bsd" branch mentioned in the output.

Regards,
Tobias

[1] https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/fdff17b005c2fbea193539927c1d4dadae5ef3ed