[Gambas-user] About Gambas and Wayland

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 00:11:52 CET 2020

Hi,

I have just merged the support for Wayland in the two GUI components
gb.qt5 and gb.gtk3.

A few important things to note:

1) gb.gtk and gb.qt4 won't support wayland.

2) Wayland support in the toolkits, GTK+3 and QT5, is not really
finished, so you will have a lot of little annoying problems. It's
usually the window manager's fault - we must say "compositor" now with
Wayland. If you have a problem with Gnome window manager, you may not
have it with KDE window manager. And conversely.

3) Some GTK+3 menu popups are not displayed at the right position at the
moment, but I may be able to fix that.

4) Desktop.Platform will tell you which platform you are using. It
returns "x11" or "wayland".

5) You cannot choose the platform at the moment. The underlying toolkit
decides.

Well, we must hope that support from GTK+3, QT5 and the different window
managers will be better in the future.

Enjoy it anyway!

--
Benoît Minisini