[Gambas-user] hijack (was Gambas Mailing List Etiquette)

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sun Apr 12 19:46:56 CEST 2020

Am 12.04.20 um 18:51 schrieb T Lee Davidson:

> So then, a thread isn't actually hijacked unless the Subject line is
> changed even though the actual topic of discussion had already
> changed?

No sorry, you're right.

> But yet, unless I misunderstood, Jussi is of the opinion that the
> subject *should* have been changed.

And in this case I was wrong.

> I'm just confused as to what, going forward, is the best means, and
> accepted policy for this list, of handling such a situation.

A thread is a technical thing, defined by headers in mails which create
the tree of mails following one after the other.

This is a hijack:

https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermail/user/2014-December/050908.html

There a user replied to a mail inside a thread and changed the subject.
In reality he wanted to create a new thread but thought it would be
sufficient to reply and change just the subject.

So a hijack IMO is a mistake.

It is not necessarily a hijack, if someone changes the subject. If in a
very long thread the topic of a discussion changes, and someone changes
the subject accordingly to the topic of the discussion it cannot be
called a hijack, so I was wrong in case of our thread we're currently
discussing in.

Please forgive me. As you see, "hijack" is not a technical thing with a
solid definition.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--