[Gambas-user] Gambas Mailing List Etiquette

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sun Apr 12 09:49:25 CEST 2020

Am 11.04.20 um 20:15 schrieb Jussi Lahtinen:

>     I did that when the topic of the sub-thread diverged significantly
>     from the original thread and it appeared that a discussion
>     regarding the new topic would continue. This was done so that people
>     would know it was a different topic and could ignore it if
>     they weren't interested. Is that bad practice?
>
> No, of course that was right thing to do. I mean the second thread (this
> one) created from what you created.

No. The right thing would have been to post a new mail with the
subject"Gambas Mailing List Etiquette" to start a new thread.

The original thread was hijacked* as can be seen here:

https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermail/user/2020-April/thread.html#68949

This can also be seen in the screenshot of Claws Mail, which is able to
track and display threads as it should be as well.

I think the Google mail client (I don't know it) does not know threads
and therefore cannot display them. But this is not the standard. What
Google Mail seem to do is very old poor man's threading by just sorting
threads by subject and time.

* Hijacking a thread: Whenever a mail is replied to, the reply is part
of a thread. So if someone wants to discuss a new topic, it should never
be in a reply.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--