[Gambas-user] Coming back to gb.test

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sun Apr 5 21:57:18 CEST 2020

Am 05.04.20 um 19:48 schrieb Tobias Boege:

> By merging gb.test.tap into gb.test you are implying the last argument
> above, that it is fine that gbt3 and the IDE will depend on gb.test
> for parsing TAP and pull in classes that are never used during normal
> operation. But I haven't seen you explicitly argue this way because
> you seem to be focused on the integrity of gb.test's source code and
> not the whole picture of testing all around Gambas. That the decision
> to merge TAP into gb.test is a trade-off doesn't become apparent until
> you need TAP processors in multiple parties involved in the testing.

No. I quickly answer to this assumption, because it is wrong.

TLDR; gb.test should never parse TAP. That's your idea and it is the
cause of all the difficulties we face now.

-----

My last thoughts were to just merge the assertions, the tracking
functionality and the TAP printer from gb.test.tap into gb.test and let
gb.test print TAP for each assertion and optionally a summary at the end
as TAP comment.

Just as it was before, but the assertions and TAP printing replaced by
your creations. Your assertions are more extensive, you integrated Skip
and Todo and you also created subtests.

TAP parsing in my opinion should never be in gb.test!

Never!!!

TAP parsing has nothing to do with testing code, but with the
presentation and interpretation of the result. This is a completely
different playing field.

This is the separation i like and i think is useful and neccessary.

That gb.test.tap currently contains the functionality for printing *and*
parsing was your idea as you started writing code for TAP shortly after
i introduced gb.test and suggested TAP as output format in 2016. After
you have spoken very much for TAP, I have integrated a small and not
very elaborated TAP printer into gb.test.

You hold on to this idea (one component for printing and parsing) with
astonishing energy, but IMO it is wrong.

It weakens gb.test because essential functionality of testing code is
separated into a component and can hardly be tested and debugged. You
want to rip gb.test into two pieces and that's bad. I will always resist
against that.

I am also tired of repeating the same stuff over and over again. But:
Testing is an essential thing for Gambas' future, so  we have to work on
the details and discuss all aspects of it.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur