[Gambas-user] Coming back to gb.test

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sun Apr 5 10:44:49 CEST 2020

Am 03.04.20 um 01:30 schrieb Tobias Boege:

> Christof has reminded me what the critical points are:
>
> On Thu, 02 Apr 2020, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
>> 1) Assert is now in gb.test.tap and not in gb.test. But this makes no
>> sense because asserts must not be associated to the output format. In
>> addition the flow of testing and assertions cannot be debugged inside
>> gb.test any more.
>>

> I agree with this. gb.test must contain the Assert module which provides
> "high-level" assertions like comparing strings and printing diagnostics
> when the test fails ("expected this string but got that string").
>
> But gb.test.tap should still export a *minimal* Assert module that just
> contains Ok, Diag, BailOut, Todo, Skip and Subtest functionality.
> gb.test builds its assertions on top of these primitives by extending
> the Assert module. This allows TAP to be switched out for another format
> as long as the other format's Assert module provides the above primitives.
>
> I think Benoît also suggested something along those lines, so we agree.
> D'accord?

The more i think of it my doubts grow.

The test system core must have to be able to test itself to ensure it's
reliability. Are "Ok, Diag, BailOut, Todo, Skip and Subtest" not
essential parts of this core?

If one of them swallows things this is as bad as if an assertion does
something wrong.

I would like it better if the test system is reliable in itself and
spits out its results in the form of TAP (as transport format).

If we do the separation for fictional Gui, CVS, Log ... why can't they
take TAP and convert it into their special output format?

Why should they have to provide essential parts of the test system as
interfaces?

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--