[Gambas-user] Coming back to gb.test

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Fri Apr 3 07:19:54 CEST 2020

Am 03.04.20 um 01:30 schrieb Tobias Boege:

>> 3) TestFailures.test is broken and does not run any more. It was
>> necessary to ensure that crashes and failures were handled and reported
>> well by gb.test.
>
> More specifically:
>
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2020, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
>> In gb.test TestFailures.test has 11 Asserts that have to report "not ok".
>>

> On this I'm sceptical.
>
> This might be a good occasion to share here a doodle of a more elaborate
> flowchart [1] of testing than the one Christof has posted earlier [2].
> I hope it is understandable;

> [1] https://gitlab.com/snippets/1960494

Really? No... :-) ... these are way too complicated hieroglyphs to
understand in the morning ... and maybe later also ... ;-)

But I have a revolutionary idea (please think about it for a while
before we go on):

gb.test.tap AFAICS introduced a couple of new/improved features:

1) Better/more complete Assertions
2) Subtests

What if we merge this thing completely into gb.test and throw away
gb.test.tap as a separated component?

So:

1) We can debug/step through all these spaghetti paths as it
   was before.
2) Handle errors/failures/crashes as it was before.
3) Test gb.test and all assertions inside gb.test

Then let gb.test spit out raw TAP (+ summary by occasion) and nothing else.

gb.test tests and the TAP it spits out is it's only transportation
format for test results.

Every other further component (gb.test.gui, gb.test.log, gb.test.csv,
gb.test.prove ...) has to parse TAP and interpret and handle it in it's
own way.

What about that?

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

PS.: Now I'm gonna try to decipher your hieroglyphs ...

--
Dies ist keine Signatur