[Gambas-user] Scrolling text in a textbox?

Bruce adamnt42 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 10:09:33 CET 2019

Is there a way or has anyone achieved a custom control that does the
<marquee> ... blah blah blah ...</marquee> thing in a textbox?

I never thought I would want one, but stange how life pans out.

There is a constant, albeit sporadic, set of "updates" that affect one
or more things that the user is "watching". So I thought maybe if we
could scroll the last so many messages in a status bar type of thing.

Yes, we are back in the online "auction" game again :-[
At least this time it's a bit slower.

Let's say for Christmas Day you are looking for a 2016 Langhorne Creek
Shiraz. (In fact to qualify you need to be looking for 2 or 3 dozen.) We
have about 8 wineries and around 80 outlets (retail, wholesale and
cellar door) that provide that vintage. Also you are looking for one or
two bottles of 2012 North Victorian Muscat, six or so bottles of
something-or-other fizz and a bottle of sweet  sherry for Aunt Jane.

The idea is you stick that order in and we do the "go searching".
Originally I thought we could just come up with the "best fit/best
value" answer. However it appears that
a) this can take a bit of time.. up to about 10 minutes and
b) if someone has got the Muscat on a two for one sale and another
"sticky" is even better value then "best value" becomes a bit meaningless.

(Sheesh! This was supposed to be a retirement hobby project! AKA someone
said (and I cant quote the exact words for fear of being censored but it
was along the lines of...) GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN AND GO DO SOMETHING!)
Well, that worked.   I have spent the last three weeks demoing the very
rudimentary prototype to more marketers and sales reps than I ever
wished to meet in my life.  The trouble is not only do they like it,
they have got lots of "wonderful suggestions". Sadly, most of their
ideas involve web-sites promoting their product. Which is the antithesis
of what we are trying to do.

The original idea was based on your ordinary "wine club" sort of thing.
We'd go and sign up a few bespoke wineries and they'd tell us what they
were remaindering, i.e. the stuff they wanted to move so this years
vintage could occupy the space released. We weren't going to "sell" it,
we would just "list it". Any club member could log in and see who was
trying to move what stuff.  No fancies, no bling.  They saw something
they liked, click and get a phone number or email address to order some.
No fee, no commission. Just that (ahem) I'd get a few bargains here and
there. Well, that idea soon blew up!

So now we have a relatively decent sort of client-server thingo going
that about 60 people are using sporadically and a bunch of marketers who
want to put videos with surround sound stereo on it. AAAAARRRGH! This is
just exactly what I am trying to avoid!

However the UI is crap. My fault.

So.

Instead of having to read the current stdout gibberish we print while
searching through catalogues and websites for partial matches and
possible goodies. Someone suggested that maybe we could do a slowly
scrolling sort of marquee thing across the bottom. Most times it would
say sort of "... still looking ..." and show some found items. OK I said
... BUT THERE WILL BE NO ADVERTISING!

(Well that was a long way to get to the point. Sorry folks!)

But any ideas?

tia
bruce

.................  >>>>>> Best buys are here!!!!!! ...... Sign up
now!!!!! ..... (French horn concerto).....   <bold><purple> DO IT NOW!
<flash>

B: Joanne, get out of my emails!
J: pppppppp!!!