[Gambas-user] GTK+ with Broadway

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 02:59:29 CEST 2019

Le 20/05/2019 à 01:05, Mayost Sharon a écrit :
> Hello
>
> Thanks again
>
> Maybe I'm wrong
>
> But it seems to me that the error is not related to GTK3 + BROADWAY
>
> I open a new question in the forum:
> https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermail/user/2019-May/067262.html

Of course it is.

I added a test of the type of the display so that X11 specific
initialization is not done if the GDK display is not X11.

I tried a simple application with one window including a TextBox and a
TextArea.

The program does not crash anymore, but Broadway hardly displays a
working window in the browser, and the GTK+ program emits tons of
warnings on its terminal output.

The window is not well positioned, its size is incorrect, and a lot of
things does not draw or work correctly.

Gambas has to do tricks to workaround a lot of bugs and limitations of
GTK+. Maybe the Broadway backend does not like it (in the sense that it
supports pure GTK+ applications).

Or maybe Broadway is just a toy. After all, it's mainly a rewrite of the
X11 network protocol at the GDK level that uses the browser as a graphic
terminal.

--
Benoît Minisini