[Gambas-user] Better use of prefixes

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 22:13:35 CET 2019

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019, Cedron Dawg wrote:
> In a lot of languages, the variable allocation statements, have to come before the code execution.  This restriction comes from having one pass compilers where the data area needs to be laid out before the machine code starts being written.  I hope we have come a long way from that.

You'd be surprised, not a very long way. It was added last December,
first released as Gambas 3.12.0 [1]. The addition was not welcomed by
everybody IIRC [2] and in the end I don't remember why it was added.
(Maybe it was even me who brought it up [3])

Regards,
Tobi

[1] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/release/3.12.0?ht=anywhere
[2] https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermail/user/2018-December/066027.html