[Gambas-user] A friendly face on LibreOffice towards Gambas

Bruce adamnt42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 08:37:36 CET 2019

On 4/3/19 2:20 pm, Cedron Dawg wrote:
> Good News, it's going to be quite possible.
>
> Piece of cake, here is a system diagram:
>

>      =====================
>      :  Gambas Programs  :                   O S
>      =====================
>            |                         I N D E P E N D E N T
>      ==================                    L A N D
>      :  GB.LO_(type)  :
>      ==================
> -   -   - | -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
>            |    L I N U X             ------------------------
>            |                          :  LibreOffice Daemon  :
>            |     L A N D              ------------------------
>            |                                      |      *
>            |                                      |      *
>            |                                      |      *
>            V                                      |      V
>     ------------------------------                |   ---------------
>     :  OSGB.GambasToLibreOffice  :                |   :  LO_(Type)  :
>     ------------------------------                |   ---------------
>            |                                      |
>            |                                      |
>            |                                      |
>            V                                      V
>       -----------------------                 ----------------------------
>       :  libGambas_ToLO.so  : <-=-=-=-=-=-=-> :  libLibreOffice_ToGB.so  :
>       -----------------------     TCP/IP      ----------------------------

Interesting concept!
My own experiences with LO "macro programming" left me somewhat less
than enthused. The object module is apparently a mystical secret known
only to the inner circle and their publicized documentation about as
transparent as a brick.

Now something that would do what you propose above would be fantastic,
but then again I would be overjoyed if not ecstatic with a library that
just let me make LO graphs with data provided by a Gambas program
through a somewhat "static" interface.

I mean, OK, LO can ACCESS (haha see below) a database and get the data
into a spreadsheet and produce a (more or less) nice graph. However this
is, in my case, an entirely manual and tiresome exercise when doing it
200+ times a day. What I would like is to be able to is define a graph
in LO and then from within a Gambas program, invoke that sheet, provide
the data and get pack a pic of the graph.

(No disrespect intended to those authors of the Gambas graphing component)

So, one of our user's could request a plot of ThisHorse over
ThatCriterion in a live sense and we wouldn't have to spend hours a day
generating a limited amount of plots based on what we think may be
interesting auction lots.

  Looking forward to seeing more on your efforts!

> Anybody else have experience in defining assymetric communication protocols?

Yes, many years (and many years ago). It's pretty simple.

Finally, now you wrote in your original post about VBA. This may be of
interest.

Many, many winters ago, when men were real hairy men etc... a couple of
guys wrote this 80x0 based database thingo called "OpenAccess". This
thingo was quite amazing. It even had a gooey (didn't have GUI's in
those days) bizzo that let you code user level programs to access a
database and display the results and let the user manipulate the data by
means of "forms". It even had a bizzo that created "banded" reports of
the data.

If you wanted to do some particularly tricky bit of data manipulation
there was even a thing they called a macro programmer. The whole thing
was pretty amazing really, except it used their own database management
system. The macro programmer used a little regarded "language" called BASIC.

Anyway, some gut from Seattle bought the ideas from them for a pittance
(read stole), including something they had been working on that would
let OpenAccess interact with some proprietry DBMS's. (Let's just call
that the beginnings of ODBC.)

So, OpenAccess became Access. The macro programmer language became
"AccessBasic". Some M$ wizkids saw the potential of that and
incorporated AccessBasic into (ahem) "Office".

Cutting the rest of this long story short, as you kiddies need to sleep,
is that OpenAccess BASIC became AccessBasic which begot "BA" who was
long apon the land and begot (in a misbeguided moment) "VBA".

So! Hows that for some history?

If you doubt my credentials just ask me about indexed indirect jumps in
assembler.

cheers