[Gambas-user] My incomplete Manjaro Install - Need expert help

Cedron Dawg cedron at exede.net
Tue Jun 18 15:50:15 CEST 2019

My Manjaro install went smoothly until it didn't.  Took longer than expected too.

First, perhaps a bad sign, the download server was down for maintenance, so I waited a bit.  (After midnight I can download without data metering.)  It came back, so I downloaded the iso.  Took a while, I'm on satellite internet.  Copy iso to usb drive, then to locol server.  My old trusty iso installer failed with the newer Manjaro.  Found an alternative one, USB ready.

Booted from USB.  Worked fine, played around, went for install.  Went smoothly.  Reboot from install.  Worked fine.  Did some settings.  Looked at some photos to set the background.  Used the "Set as background" option on the image viewer, nothing.  There's a glitch, another bad sign?

So, I set the background with the settings and do a web search.  Yep, that option doesn't work in Manjaro.  Not a big deal.

Install Gambas by going to command line and "sudo pacman -S gambas3" per the wiki:

http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install/archlinux

A bunch of stuff scrolls by.  I start Gambas, it works, I close it.  I go to copy some files from my other partition to work with.  Try to start Gambas, nothing.  Try to unintall, reinstall, some other stuff, don't remember it was really late.  Go to bed.

This morning, lacking some sleep, I try again.  Still doesn't work.  Go to the command line:

gambas3.gambas

Get a message something like GLIBC29.0 is required by gbx ....

Okay, research the issue.  Pretty common, but none of the fixes work.  Okay, fresh image, yet not up to date?  Another bad sign?

Fine, at this point I am ready to give up on Manjaro and try Mint Xcfe.  This means another large download, so I'll have to wait till tonight.  In the meanwhile, I do a fresh re-install of Manjaro.

This time I try to install Gambas using the Add/Remove Packages option.

I find it (Gambas3-IDE), mark for installation, and get a pop up that says this:

Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: bashrc-manjaro will be installed before its bash dependency
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: harfbuzz will be installed before its freetype2 dependency
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: libglvnd will be installed before its mesa dependency
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: x264 will be installed before its ffmpeg dependency
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: usbmuxd will be installed before its libimobiledevice dependency
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: lib32-harfbuzz will be installed before its lib32-freetype2 dependency
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: lib32-keyutils will be installed before its lib32-krb5 dependency
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: lib32-libglvnd will be installed before its lib32-mesa dependency

Okay, hit the [close], then press [Apply] anyway.  It comes up with a list of packages to remove, and those to install, and the download will be 1.2G.

That doesn't make sense.  So, I cancel, and here I sit.

Any ArchLinux/Manjaro users out there that can tell me what to do next?

Yes, the Mint Xcfe option is still on the table.

Ced