[Gambas-user] Debugging Gambas

KKing kicking177 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:23:01 CET 2019

Thank you Fabien and Tobias, for some reason your responses did not come
through on the user email digests I received, but I found via the
archive from website. And this is actually my second attempt to send
this as first attempt has never seem appeared in archive on website.

<<
 > What is the "Redirect Standard error output" option meant for and how to
 > use?

I would advise to enable this. You can then "print debug" your program
with the Debug or Error statements. Those send strings to stderr, which
is redirected as Fabien said. Otherwise these messages clutter up your
ncurs-ified terminal which make them unreadable and can cause visual
glitches. [ That is because ncurses, true to its name, reduces the amount
of changes sent to the terminal as much as it can. It assumes that you
do not print to the terminal but through ncurses functions, so that it
has an accurate idea of what is on the screen. ]

I'm probably missing something... if I enable this I don't see any
different behaviour. Should I be looking at a particular log generated
somewhere or do I need to add (potentially a lot) of debug statements?

Is there anyway to check the amount of memory being used and available?
Today I was stepping through the code, through a section that gets
called repeatedly and it appear to freeze on a simple line setting
content of a variable with nothing out of the ordinary. The Pause and
Stop are still bold (non greyed) inferring it thinks it is running but
F8 or F5 does nothing. If I look in local or current object variables I
seem their names but no values completely blank area. If I hit pause I
get the crash. I managed to repeat that and it again appeared to freeze
in a different section, but again in a function that is (and has been
within the session) called repeatedly. I tried compiling and run that
and it got a segmentation fault in approximately after the same amount
of usage. My next steps are to probably try on another more powerful
unit with possibly a newer version of Gambas.

K.