[Gambas-user] gb.web.feed not stable yet?

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:39:34 CET 2019

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018, T Lee Davidson wrote:
> I am wondering why gb.web.feed is considered to be not yet stable. Are we waiting for anything specific before it is considered
> stable (other than perhaps its developer to have more free time)?

There are two "milestones" for the component:

  (1) Every RSS date must be formatted according to (a minor variant of)
      RFC 822, which includes a timezone string. I think if you publish
      e.g. local news, setting a timezone independent of the local one
      is an important feature. I wanted to do this since the beginning [1]
      but it *may* break the existing interface [2]:

        About the incorporation of timezones in gb.web.feed (the last
	thing before I mark the component as "Unfinished but stable"),
	my plan is to replace the Date variables in the Rss* classes
	by an RssDate compound, consisting of a normalised Date and a
	Timezone string (or constant), with an "apply timezone" method
	probably. If you have a better idea, please let me know.

      I also remember issues with the date conversion, some of which got
      fixed, but others not [3,4]. As I said 20 months ago, when this
      is done, the component can be marked "Stable".

  (2) Being called gb.web.feed and not gb.web.rss, there should be an
      Atom feed generator and then a common set of classes on top of RSS
      and Atom which allow you to build a single object representation
      of your feed and export it to both formats. When that is done,
      the component is "Finished".

Regards,
Tobi

[1] https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermail/user/2017-April/059815.html