[Gambas-user] IRC channels

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 21:15:16 CEST 2019

Hi list,

I want to let you know that I have registered a "gambas" group on the
Freenode IRC network [1]. This means that we have first-class presence
on the network, which in turn doesn't really mean anything, except that
we can give out project cloaks for the Gambas project now (I just got mine)
and that I get an excuse to remind you that the channels exist at all.

In case you don't know, Freenode is an IRC network dedicated to FOSS or
peer-directed projects, and lots of well-known projects have a presence
and support channels there, including Wikipedia, various Linux distri-
butions, various programming languages, myriads of libraries and other
software. It's not in our disadvantage to mix Gambas into that.

The #gambas channel existed there for many years, before the group was
registered, and didn't see much traffic since I joined. I got the idea
to revive it when we recently had a bunch of questions here about native
component development.

Most questions are adequately discussed on the mailing list, because
they require experimentation, reading code, careful wording, attachments,
archival... But walking someone through the process of writing their first
native component or solving an installation issue, for instance, can
benefit from interactive realtime discussion. Therefore I think IRC can
complement the mailing lists quite well.

There are two channels:

  #gambas     : general-purpose: about the language, components, libraries
  #gambas-dev : about the C part of Gambas: compiler, interpreter, C API

I hope that some of you, who hang around the network anyway, bring their
expertise into the channels and that people with questions will find them.
I added them to the wiki [2] already.

Regards,
Tobi

[1] https://freenode.net/