[Gambas-user] Size of a directory

Me adamnt42 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 14:20:28 CEST 2018

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 11:52:30 +0200
Rolf-Werner Eilert <rwe-sse at osnanet.de> wrote:

> Am 21.09.2018 um 11:26 schrieb Benoît Minisini:
> > Le 21/09/2018 à 10:54, Hans Lehmann a écrit :
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> how do I determine the size (ilDirSize As Long) of a directory using
> >> Gambas?
> >>
> >> With kind regards
> >>
> >> Hans

> > You can't, because on Unix there is no system call to get the size of a
> > directory. And I never understood the reason why they didn't implement
> > that.
> >
> > You have to browse the directory, and add the size of each file one by
> > one. Very slow...
> >

> The reason is, what do want to know: only the size of the directory
> itself, or recursively all subdirectories too, and do you want files
> from links being included or excluded, and if so, only softlinks or
> hardlinks, and do you want a size in bytes or clusters...???
>
> A ready-made function by the filesystem would not do anything else than
> a function you code for yourself in, say, C, and it could not be any
> faster. And it would have to cope with all exceptions and special
> wishes, so a decent one made for yourself would be almost faster anyway.
>
> As far as I heard, the most advanced file systems like Btrfs (though I
> don't like it) offer such fancies. From Gambas this would mean to shell
> out and call the commandline function for it. Whereas - when we speak of
> Btrfs - the size left on the media is only a rough guess, so they
> recommend to keep at least 20 % as a security buffer. You will know why
> once you crossed the limit...
>
> But when you stay whithin one directory and leave out any linked files
> and do not go recursive, then it can be rather fast. I know that from
> midnight commander.
>
> Regards
> Rolf

du

Don't know. Is that still around? Back in the good old days of limited disk space that was the goto
to find out who/where the disk hogs were. Lots of command line options and you have to parse
the output, But it beats the hell out of writing recursive ...

du -shu ..nope ...
du -sh * ... nope
man du ...nope
info du ? ...no i dont have info any more.

ah to hell with it... https://www.google.com/search?q=linux+du+command&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

hth
Me <adamnt42 at gmail.com>