[Gambas-user] Linux Mint 18.2, Gambas 3.10 installed from repos, no toolboxes on the screen

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 13:20:45 CET 2018

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018, fargodwe via Gambas-user wrote:
> I decided to try to see if I can learn gambas.  I am running Linux Mint 18.2
> (Sarah).  I installed gambas 3.10 via the package manager.  When I create a
> new project, the window on the left (project properties??) is displayed and
> a blank form is displayed.  There are no tool boxes on the screen and no
> options under any of the icon or text menus to do so.  I have seen screen
> shots on the web where it looks like visual basic with a toolbox to chose
> items that go on the screen and also the toolbox that shows the properties
> for them.  I cannot get this to come up at all.  I tried deleting everything
> and followed the instructions for Ubuntu (Mint is based on Ubuntu) by adding
> the repo, updating the package lists and installing gambas 3.10.  Same thing
> happens.
>
> I assume there must be something I don't understand at all.  Maybe this
> doesn't come with the various tool boxes I was used to seeing in visual
> basic - I have no clue as I'm just starting out.
>
> If someone could tell this old guy what the heck he is doing wrong it would
> be greatly appreciated!

Important note: This list on sourceforge is no longer active. You have to
use the new one: https://lists.gambas-basic.org/listinfo/user. I'll answer
this question with the new list in CC.

If you open your eyes really wide and hover with your cursor over the area
in the attached screenshot, you will see two arrows pop up (shown inside the
red ellipse). Click on that control and the toolbox should become visible.
There are other panels which you can show/hide in this way.

Regards,
Tobi