[Gambas-user] DBus - How are signal data converted to Gambas data?

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 00:54:52 CET 2018

On 01/29/2018 04:23 AM, Karl Reinl wrote:
> Am Montag, den 29.01.2018, 03:45 -0500 schrieb T Lee Davidson:
>> Thanks, Fabien. I was really eager to dive in to that example, except ... I can't find it.
>>
>> I looked at All software on the Farm, not just Examples. I even looked on the Wiki thinking it might be there. It might be, but
>> I don't see it.
>>
>> Will you give me a clue?
>>

> Salut Lee,
>
> that's from gambas3 source code, you find it at <your dir>/comp/src.
> Most of gb.*.* is from there.

Thanks Charlie.

I don't keep a local copy of the source, but I found it on GitLab.

Unfortunately, I still can't seem to wrap my head around the DBusValues and DBusVariant concepts.

They both appear to be stupid data containers that can be inherited and customized to make them smart. But, I see no difference
between them and, hence, am unable to determine when one should be preferred over the other.

This confusion is enhanced by gb.dbus.trayicon seeming to use them interchangeably and DBusValues.class being defined as

[code]
' Gambas class file

Export
Inherits DBusVariant
[/code]

which adds nothing to DBusVariant.

At this point if working on my own project, I would revert to a strictly procedural implementation instead of engaging in
further head-banging.

--
Lee