[Gambas-user] IDE Connection Editor password save anamoly (was Re: Extracting fields from a Result)

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 01:22:00 CET 2018

On 01/03/2018 06:29 PM, Doug Hutcheson wrote:
> Just to add some information to that, I use the Gnome desktop, not KDE. Gnome uses GnomeKeyring and, prompted by this
> discussion, I have just browsed the keyring. It does have the correct password set for my application PostgreSQL_test, using
> path PostgreSQL_test/Connection/Connection1 - Connection1 being the connection I have established for my test harness.

Given that, I would have to assume that the runtime is looking in the '.connection' Settings file in the project source
directory for the password. And, it's not there.

By looking at FNewConnection.class and MConnection.module in master/app/src/gambas3/.src/Connection, I see that, as Tobi pointed
out, the Connection Editor is relying solely on saving the password on the Desktop. It does not even attempt to save it in the
Settings file. That might be for security reasons.

But, if we have to put a password directly in code to make it successfully connect, what's the difference?

--
Lee

P.S. I've updated the subject line to more accurately describe the current context of this thread.