[Gambas-user] Looking up data from a second table

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Tue Feb 20 01:47:09 CET 2018

Am 20.02.2018 um 00:03 schrieb T Lee Davidson:

> I think the DataSource should be set programatically.

For sure. This can be done easily in a module:

--8<-------------------------------------------------------------------

Property Read MyDB as Connection
Private $MyDB as Connection

Private Function MyDB_Read() As Connection

    If Not $MyDB.Opened Then
    	With $MyDB
        	.Type = "postgresql" ' sqlite3, mysql
        	.Host = "hostname"
        	.Name = "dbname"
        	.Login = "username"
        	.Password = "password123456"
        End With
        Open($MyDB)
    Endif

    Return $MyDB
Catch
    Error.Propagate

End

--8<-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you save this module with the name "DBs.module" then one can use the
connection anywhere in the program like so:

--8<-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dim Qry as String
Dim Res as Result

Qry = "select str from anything;"
Res = DBs.MyDB.Exec(Qry)

--8<-------------------------------------------------------------------

Or for a DataSource:

--8<-------------------------------------------------------------------

	DataSource1.Connection = DBs.MyDB
	DataSource1.Table = "select this from that;"

--8<-------------------------------------------------------------------

For the problem of the OP: I was not able to display the data in a
DataView. I do not understand how the DataView corresponds with the
DataSource, beecause I do not work with gb.db.form.

For my own programs I use my own component, which is able to display
database results in grids:

https://github.com/Deganius/gb.deg.form

Updating data in the database I do also programmatically by using the
events these – my own – components raise.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur