[Gambas-user] IDE Git Magic ....

Adrien Prokopowicz adrien.prokopowicz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 15:07:08 CET 2018

Le 09/02/2018 à 09:21, Christof Thalhofer a écrit :
> Am 09.02.2018 um 02:34 schrieb Adrien Prokopowicz:
>
>> I also agree that only the components and project files needed to build
>> Gambas should be in the repository. Ideally, the repository should have
>> the same content as if you generated the archive manually, this way it
>> would make the GitLab-generated archive equivalent to the ones you made
>> on SourceForge, so nobody has to run extra commands to get a clean
>> archive. :-)
>
> A Git repository (the thing you clone to your computer into .git in your
> working dir) always contains all states ever. Therefor it is way bigger
> than a SVN checkout (which does only a small excerpt of the real
> repository on the server).
>
> That is the concept of Git and why it is so fast. You have the whole
> thing on your own computer. You can always checkout every state, every
> branch into your working dir without the need of a server!
>
> And so everybody's computer is a backup. If Gitlab goes away it doesn't
> really matter, because everybody of us has the repo as backup.
>
> For people who just want to fetch a special branch (maybe "stable") from
> Gitlab there are commands which do that.
>
> But please do not think about dividing the current repository into
> smaller pieces as long as there is no concrete understanding of the Git
> concept at all.
>

> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer

I think there is a misunderstanding here (I'm well aware of how Git
works). :-)

The whole "reducing the archive size" thing is not about the Git
repository at all actually (at least not originally), it is about
generating the source archive for the Gambas releases, which were on
SourceForge up to now.

Of course, there is not much point in trying to reduce the size of the
Git repository for developers (since, as you said, it is much more
convenient for us to have the whole repository locally), but this is for
the end-users who simply download and install Gambas, and therefore
don't use Git at all.

However, since we can use GitLab to make the source archives for the
releases now, trying to have a repository that is as clean as possible
is a win-win situation : users get nice and small downloads, and we
don't have to do anything to make a Gambas release archive now, other
than making a tag. :-)

--
Adrien Prokopowicz