[Gambas-user] Release of Gambas 3.11.4

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sat Aug 25 12:28:29 CEST 2018

Am 13.08.2018 um 15:50 schrieb PICCORO McKAY Lenz:

> we need a mayor vision of the gambas usage, it's great but it's not only
> mysql!

ODBC is a standard interface to different databases. But each database
vendor has to provide a ODBC-driver to use its database together with ODBC.

So if Gambas ODBC works with Postgresql and Mysql as Benoît says, it is
a clear sign that Gambas ODBC is completely ok. You should ask the
database vendor to provide a correct ODBC-driver for your OS. Here is a
list of ODBC drivers for different DBs:

http://www.unixodbc.org/drivers.html

If something is buggy you normally can log SQL statments on the database
side and so see the difference between what is sent by your program to
the ODBC-driver and what commands the database got from the ODBC-driver.

And this is what I think about ODBC: Is is awful and slow and mostly a
pain in the ass. It is often a pain because the vendors of proprietary
databases sometimes do strange things due to marketing strategies.

As an alternative you could write a component for example like
gb.db.sapdb by yourself, as long as the vendor keeps its api stable ...
and you have the skills.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--