[Gambas-user] help with inherits using serial port

Tony Morehen tmorehen at ajm-software.com
Wed Aug 1 18:15:09 CEST 2018

1) Serial ports are almost never used these days so it's likely no one
is able to test your code.

2) Your description of what you want to do is very confusing. Please
remember that computer translators don't work very well for technical
documents.

3) Jussi is right.  You close the port before you read from it.  Of
course there's nothing to read.

4) You are getting stream errors, that's what 'cannot write, stream
closed' is.

5) Obviously, for stream to be closed, your open failed.  Your program
never tests for a successful open.

6) Open does not raise an error because your open code says not to: Try
SComm.Open().  With the Try, Catch will never be called.

7) In serial programming, direct reads from tty are best event-driven.
That way you can control the size of the buffer. Oh yes, remember to
remove read data from the buffer.