[Gambas-user] Question of shortcut keys position

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:33:13 CEST 2018

Le 24/04/2018 à 17:18, Gianluigi a écrit :
> Hi Benoit,
> I have not completely understood this suggestion:
> "You should not decide for the user of your library which shortcut he
> wants to use."
> But is not it always the programmer who decides what the shortcut keys
> of his application will be?
> Is not it normal to reserve F1 and F2 for help?
> This application is a utility if the shortcut keys are in the main
> module is not easier for the programmer to intervene and change them?
>
> Regards
> Gianluigi

No, shortcuts should be configurable.

In Gambas, this is done through :

- The "Action" property of a control.

- The "Shortcut" associated with a menu entry having its Action property
set.

- the gb.form.mdi component that adds support for configuring these
shortcuts.

At the moment, this is not possible to have an action with a shortcut
outside of a menu entry.

I suggest that you don't try to handle the shortcut. Just offer a method
to show your help browser, and let the user of your library manage the
shortcuts as he likes.

--
Benoît Minisini