[Gambas-user] Gambas v3.10.0 setup problems again

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Sep 13 17:31:49 CEST 2017

Le 13/09/2017 à 17:11, mikeB a écrit :
> eGreetings - the World of Gambas,
> If using v10 to develop and package an install file - does gb.qt4
> need to be used and distributed (as opposed to gb.qt3)?

I don't understand what that sentence means.

I think v10 means 3.10? And v8 3.8?

> If so -
> if the end user had several apps developed with Gambas 3.8.?
> installed, and working, will those apps be disabled due to
> a setup installing gb.qt4 (as I think it un-installs qt3
> in the process)?

QT 3 is not used by Gambas 3. So I don't see the point.

> Note: I'm having users of any of my apps install Gambas
> v.10 runtime files via the following terminal commands before
> install of any of my apps:
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gambas-team/gambas3
> sudo apt-get update
>
> Is there a better way?

AFAIK, no. This is the standard way to install a external repository in
Debian-based distributions.

Of course, the day Debian will be able to have a recent enough Gambas in
their standard repository, you won't have to use an external repository.

> Are the v10 runtime files backwards compatible with v8?
> In my mind = they don't seem to be.

The bytecode is fully compatible, unless you use a feature introduced in
Gambas 3.9 or Gambas 3.10.

In other words : programs compiled with 3.8 will run with 3.10. Programs
compiles with 3.10 will run with 3.8 unless you use a feature introduced
in 3.9 or 3.10.

Benoît Minisini