No subject

Thu Oct 26 19:20:09 CEST 2017

=20
front (without spending money).  I realize you want Gambas to be the next h=
ot=20
language but I doubt that's going to happen.  Here is what I think will hol=
d=20
Gambas back.

1.Not a Cross platform solution.
2.No web=20

Oh I know that QT is now cross platform.  So Gambas can solve the problem i=
n=20
the future.  But what about the web?

First let me say desktop applications are not going away soon (if ever).  B=
ut=20
that's not what has been hot in the industry.  Languages like Ruby are hot=
=20
right now because of Ruby on Rails =E2=80=93 web apps.  Personally I don't =
think much=20
of Ruby.  But it's hard to deny that there are lots of developers=20
participating in =E2=80=9CRuby on Rails=E2=80=9D if the list and forum traf=
fic means=20
anything.  I receive a hundred messages daily from the Ruby list and forum.=
=20=20
Of course there is the Ajax thing and Flex along with Air that claim to=20
provide a rich web interface as good as a desktop.

So how does Gambas fit in when it comes to web apps?  It doesn't really.

So capitalize on your strengths.  In the windows world VB6 is very strong.=
=20=20
And still has a very large following world wide.  So instead of saying you=
=20
are not VB6 say you are better than VB6 with added features.  Yes I know th=
at=20
you can't move a VB6 project to Gambas with a push of a button.   So what.=
=20=20
The coding is very close.  Go and evangelize the strengths of Gambas to the=
=20
VB6 guys.

Next stop calling other languages =E2=80=9Cnerdie=E2=80=9D.  Python is no m=
ore nerdie than=20
Basic.  All that does is cause others to look at the Gambas list with=20
suspicion.=20=20

Last keep your expectation within reason.  Basic is 30-40 years old.  So th=
e=20
idea of basic is not new but what can be done with the new basic (Gambas).=
=20=20
That is a strength BTW.  So write that app that all distro's want to includ=
e=20
and show the world that Basic is not basic.

--=20
John Fabiani