[Gambas-user] Class startup?

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Thu May 18 15:13:30 CEST 2017

On Thu, 18 May 2017, alexchernoff wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> is there a way to have a routine execute in a class as soon as a new
> instance of it is created? I have a Public Sub Main() but it doesn't seem to
> run.
>
> I come to Gambas from Xojo and there classes have a Constructor() sub which
> runs on init.
>
> thanks!

The constructor is called _new in Gambas (see [1]):

  Public Sub _new()
    ' runs on object creation
  End

You can also specify parameters to the _new() method like

  ' In MyClass.class:
  Public Sub _new(X As Integer)
    ' ...
  End

which demands that an Integer be given on object instantiation:

  Dim h As New MyClass(10) ' X = 10

Regards,
Tobi

[1] http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/cat/special