[Gambas-user] Serial I/O with byte data

nando_f at ...951... nando_f at ...951...
Tue May 9 14:10:33 CEST 2017

I have used Gambas serial port for 12 years now without problems.

If there is nothing in the serial port queue, then that line might block.

I use this:

. . .
L=Lof(Sport)                     'how much is there now?
if L>1 then L=L-1                'leave at least one byte for next time around.
if L>0 then Read #Sport, Rx, L   'get all less one byte
Rx_all = Rx_all + Rx             'combine this piece into the whole receive string.
Rx=""                            'just in case it loops around, don't re-read Rx.
. . .

Most importantly, please do not think that just one READ will
retrieve a whole line or chunk of data from your serial port.
It will get only part of it because your computer reads bytes much faster
and empties the receiver buffer much faster than data send over RS232.

-Fernando