[Gambas-user] ODBC standar not tested property and many wiki/docs need corrections

Mon Jun 19 17:40:38 CEST 2017

Hi gambas devels and users, in some mail conversation with Jorje Carrion (
shordi) i noted that most gambas developers think that odbc supports same
features like normal native connections, many wiki pages assumed all the
gb.db connection types works equal, and it not as said!

.. and seems nobody except by me test or use really the ODBC behaviour in
gambas..

I mean: combinatios of ODBC+MSSQL or ODBC+ORACLE or ODBC+DB2 or
ODBC+SYBASE/FREETDS are not tested never in gambas i noted.. the opened
bugs confirmed that

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.1113 sql does not exec
after connect ODBC+FREETDS

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.1102 in some cases
subquerys does not return nothing

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.1100 due ODBC specs,
cursor are FOWARD ONLY

fill the gridview using DATA event need that Result object have a cursor,
using MoveTO, but due the Result are Foward only usage of the "MoveTo" are
not working in all ODBC combinations cases...

by example wiki page said: "You can fill the grid explicitly, or implement
the Data <http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.gtk/gridview/.data> event to
display the grid contents on demand."
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.qt4/gridview/.data

of course we can use other methos, but with thousand of rows are very
inefective...

All of these "limitations" around ODBC combinations must be in all the
realted wikis, due as like me, spend many hours thinking that "moveto" can
be done in odbc connections like sqlite or mysql connections..