[Gambas-user] About gambas, the word

Fabien Bodard gambas.fr at ...626...
Thu Jul 13 22:28:49 CEST 2017

> Many open source projects have animal name or logo. So I guess it's just
> old tradition.

In fact the tradition for geek programmers in the unix world was to
find a recurssive acronym.

It means the Name is an acronym that contain the name itself

WINE  = Wine Is Not Emulator

GAMBAS = Gambas Almost Mean BASic

So the logo of something looking a bit to a shrimp was a logical
choice... Well normally shrimps have not claws... but i find it give
an idea of super powerfull shrimp ;-)

> Jussi
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Jorge Carrión <shordi at ...626...> wrote:
>
>> It's a joke, I think. Searching for something that contains BAS, from
>> Basic. Why an animal I don't know. Benoit likes to eat prawns, I
>> soppouse...
>>
>> 😁😁😁
>>
>> Best Regards

>> > *Warning: this is only a linguistic curiosity with no relation to Gambas,
>> > the language.*
>> >
>> > Entirely by chance, I came across the following definition and etymology
>> > for gambas, the word:
>> >

>> > *From Petit Robert 2007: gambasgambas [gɑ̃bas] nom féminin plurielétym.
>> > répandu v. 1960; catalan gamba, du latin populaire cambarus, classique
>> > cammarus, du grec kammarosv■ Grosses crevettes comestibles de la
>> > Méditerranée. Gambas frites (è scampi), grillées. Brochette de gambas.▫
>> > Rare Une gamba [gɑ̃ba].*
>> > In Brazil, I never heard the word gamba. I never found it in written
>> text.
>> > Nevertheless, at least one Brazilian dictionary registers it as a Spanish
>> > word only recently introduced into Portuguese. So, perhaps it is used in
>> > Portugal.
>> >
>> > Anyway, it is interesting to know that, in the end, it comes from Greek
>> > "kammaros" that gave us the Portuguese "camarão" and the Italian
>> > "gamberetto". Nevertheless, at the first sight, it is hard to see that
>> > "gamba" and "camarão" come from the same Greek word.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Fernando Cabral
>> > Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
>> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
>> > e-mail: fernandojosecabral at ...626...
>> > Facebook: f at ...3654...
>> > Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> > Wickr ID: fernandocabral
>> > WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> > Skype:  fernandojosecabral
>> > Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
>> > Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868
>> >
>> > Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
>> > nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.

Fabien Bodard