[Gambas-user] any way to convert Result to Collection more faster than copy?

Sat Jul 1 11:30:27 CEST 2017

thanks in advance adamnt42, i need to convert the result due missing odbc
important features...

> Well, 30 minutes does sound very excessive. Are you certain that it's the
> "unmarshalling" that is taking the time and not the execution of the query
> itself? That is why I separated the timings in my figures above.

yes, its not the query.. i hit pause and the data its yet in client side..

Regarding using the memory based SQLite database approach, I wouldn't think
> that it would help. I don't know the actual "size" of the data returned by
> your query, but I would expect that you would get a major memory hit and a
> lot of paging by going that way.  I have used the memory SQLite database
> several times for manipulating several hundred or so records and it is
> quite fast but wouldn't even consider it for a dataset that large (and I
> guess it would be just adding another layer of processing to handle your
> query Result).

i made the test and in part you have right, get mayor memory hit, the only
benefice i got was now i have a valid cursor due odbc does nto offer me

By the way, where is your source database? Is it on your machine or on a
> networked machine?  I had one of the lads in our office try the same thing
> that I did, but using the master database on our LAN. It took a bit longer,
> 38 seconds to execute the query rather than 31 so as I expected, network
> access to the database plays a fairly large part. ~20% for a query
> returning a set that large.

all of those question are not relevant, the real problem its the lack of
gambas to handle many DB features due the ODBC connection.. the cursor are
forward only so i cannot fill a gridview faster or play with it like others
DBMS

> So again, I would looking for other causes of that massive time if I were
> you.

the only cause of my problems, its some ODBC missing features (module
driver part) and innability of gambas to connect natively to many DBMS