[Gambas-user] check 4 Gambas Runtime files?

Rolf-Werner Eilert rwe-sse at osnanet.de
Fri Dec 15 08:47:54 CET 2017

Am 14.12.2017 22:46, schrieb Dimitris Anogiatis:
> Docker might be a slight overkill for Gambas apps, in terms of
> storage...  with the introduction of AppImage, Snap, and Flatpak
> distribution systems,

Yes! AppImage - the Scribus guys use this to provide a
still-not-quite-ready version for the daring. For instance, the new qt5
version of it ran like a charm on my old, qt4-only system. So I had a
chance to test it without having the libraries installed.

However, it was an English-only version, and the translations didn't
run, so there might be limitations.

How does LibreOffice do it? I can install any newer version on any older
system without hassle. There is just one big rpm, and the language pack
has to be installed separately.

How does Mozilla do it? Up to a certain level, I could install newer
Firefox versions. Some day it stopped, don't remember why, but it missed
some later libraries, probably kernel libs. Today newer Firefox versions
are provided through the repos of my distro (Suse).

Would it be possible to keep "runtime" and "IDE" parts of Gambas
strictly apart? For users just installing a Gambas application, the
installation script would only have to look for the latest runtime part.
Just like with Python, Java etc.

Regards
Rolf