[Gambas-user] CRYPT function - a little help please?

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Aug 25 11:32:36 CEST 2017

Le 25/08/2017 à 11:22, Adrien Prokopowicz a écrit :

> I would like to put my two cents on this subject (although,
> disclaimer : I am not a professional in security).
>
> First of all, the documentation of gb.crypt is completely wrong. As
> Tobias says, its methods have *nothing* to do with encryption : ...

Not my fault:

$ man crypt

CRYPT(3)

NAME
        crypt, crypt_r - password and data encryption

But you are right. The documentation should be updated with emphasis on
hashing instead of encryption, and an explanation of the risks.

And SHA-1 and SHA-2 are provided too for better security.

Benoît Minisini