[Gambas-user] Balloons, everywhere but when I don't want them.

adamnt42 at ...626... adamnt42 at ...626...
Fri Aug 18 08:29:39 CEST 2017

Probably obscure, but I'll give it a go anyway...

This project has about 80 or so Timers running at any given time, when they fire some stuff is updated and then a balloon pops up to alert the user that some update has happened.  All fantastic.

And an added bonus is that the balloon pops up on any virtual desktop. Which is even more fantastic as far as I am concerned and exactly what I have been looking for for some years.

What is not so great is that when this happens on the desktop where the app is running, not only does the balloon appear, but the actual form that produces the balloon gets popped up to the top of the desktop. Which is infuriating if the user is actually in another app on that desktop. Even further, the project itself has a bunch of popup forms where the user can enter manual updates of some data. When the balloon appears (and the main form) the popup is lowered and you cannot bring it back to the top layer.

I'll try a more concrete example (or two), to see if I can explain what I am trying to do a bit more clearly.

I have my email client (sylpheed) running, every so often it goes and checks for incoming mail.  If there is some new mail a boxy looking thing appears at the bottom right corner of the screen telling me I have new mail. No matter which desktop I am actually on at the time.  A bit later that boxy thing fades away. It doesn't interrupt what I am doing in any way, nor does it pop up the main email client screen.
Similarly, on my laptop I have Batti running which when I'm getting a bit low on battery power pops up a message in the desktop panel telling me to plug the damn thing in. Again this does not interrupt what I'm doing.

So, how can I achieve the same effect in gambas?

tia
bruce

--
B Bruen <adamnt42 at ...3379... (sort of)>