[Gambas-user] Segmentation fault

Richard Welch richardpa608 at ...626...
Mon Nov 7 12:31:06 CET 2016

Of course, this may already have been solved, or even be the expected
behaviour....
*I have already found a way round* (see below), so this is purely for
the benefit of others.

I have recently migrated from Ubuntu 12.04 (which has Gambas 2 in its
repositories - Gambas 2.23.1)
Ubuntu 16.04 (Gambas 3.8.4).

I am plodding through my G2 projects, converting them to G3.  The
converter does a good job, but for a small number the resulting code
blows up.

This one is the simplest and oldest: it requires no input except from
the keyboard, and none at all before the problem arises.  It plays (in a
simple-minded way) the game of Othello, human v computer.

I attach three versions of the project (subfolders in the single 95k
attachment)
1. *Othello_G2*
     This is the unconverted Gambas2 project, which runs perfectly under
Gambas2.
2. *Othello_G3_converted*
     This blows up.  Firstly (when I press F5) it gives me an empty
popup with a no-entry icon but no text, and Stack backtrace
     FMain.FMain.0
     FMain.?.?
     (native code)
     FInit.Form_Open.6
     then if I press F5 again it gives the Segmentation Fault.
The operation of the program is that FInit is a simple Splash Screen
which then opens FMain (closing FInit) to display the board and play the
game.
3. *Othello_G3_works*
     The only change from G3_converted is in the FMain form.  The Take
Focus property has been set to False.
     It works.

Richard