[Gambas-user] Icon size on deb package

Mufeed Ali mufeed.ali53 at ...626...
Tue Jul 26 13:33:50 CEST 2016

Hi,
I too faced the same issue once. The fix? Well, you could edit the deb
package yourself. To Unpack, use this tutorial:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Repack-Deb-Files-on-Debian-and-Ubuntu-404930.shtml
Then, add your icons in the supported format. How?
In /usr/share in the extracted files, create a folder called "icons",
inside the new folder, create a folder called "hicoler". Now comes the
trickier part. Decide which resolutions do you want your icon to be
available in. Then, create PNG files of the icon you chose with all the
resolutions you need. Now, create several folders with the resolutions you
chose as titles, like "22x22", "32x32", "256x256", etc. Create an "apps"
folder inside EVERY resolutions' folders. Now, paste the PNG files into the
apps folders of the different resolutions. All of the PNG files MUST have
the same filename.
Now, go to /usr/share/applications in the extracted files, you will see a
file with ".desktop" as its file extension. Open it with a Text Editor
(Recommended: Gedit. Simply open Gedit on the side, then drag the file into
the Gedit window.). You wil see a line like:
Icon="/usr/pixmaps/your-icon.xpm". Now change it into:
Icon="common-png-filename". That is, change it into the file name you kept
for the PNGs you copied earlier. BUT with NO file extension and NO file
path.
Repack it using the tutorial linked above.
IMPORTANT: This can be bad if you plan to distribute the app as it gives
bad Lint output. It'll give warnings to users and all that. But if its for
personal use, its ok. You CAN fix the bad Lint output too but It'll be a
little hard especially if your release cycle is fast. To fix it, just read
the Lintian output and make changes accordingly to the package you made.
Why is this tiring? Because each time you do this, you WILL (not maybe)
have to retrieve the MD5 sums of the icons and add them to the md5sums file
in the DEBIAN folder (after extraction). This won't be hard if you rarely
change your logo. If you don't change it, just save your MD5 SUMs somewhere
and copy-paste it when needed.
Hope I was helpful.