[Gambas-user] Sharing libraries across projects : new proposal!

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Jan 30 22:21:32 CET 2016

Le 30/01/2016 21:58, Christof Thalhofer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Am 30.01.2016 um 20:48 schrieb Benoît Minisini:
>
>> 4) At debug time, in the IDE, libraries are searched in the same
>> directories, and will be listed in the project configuration dialog to
>> be checked (the old specific library tab may be removed).
>
> That would break my current development-cycle.
>
> For programming I have such a structure in my homedir:
>
> ~/prog/gambasprojects/project1
> ~/prog/gambasprojects/project2
>
> ~/prog/gambasprojects/lib1/lib1.gambas
> ~/prog/gambasprojects/lib2/lib2.gambas
> ~/prog/gambasprojects/lib3/lib3.gambas
>
> The projects include the libs ~/prog/gambasprojects/lib$x
>
> Now I can program the projects and libraries, change things, debug and
> compile.
>
> At the same time my software (stable version for production) is
> installed in /usr/bin:
>
> /usr/bin/project1.gambas
> /usr/bin/project2.gambas
> /usr/bin/lib1.gambas
> /usr/bin/lib2.gambas
>
> And I can use that older software, the libraries in /usr/bin are
> untouched by the development-version.
>
> But:
>
> If as you write "At debug time, in the IDE, libraries are searched in
> the same directories" (do you mean /usr/bin, /usr/local/$selfdefined ?)
>
> That is bad.
>
> Because If I have to change something in the libraries at debug time,
> and compile them I have to overwrite the libs in /usr/...
>
> Then my stable software on the same computer changes behaviour.
>
> So I found your first proposal better for my development-cycle. Because
> it separtes development and production states on the same computer
> without creating any conflicts.
>

> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer

I will add a user-specific library directory only used at debug time:
"~/.local/share/gambas3/lib". By putting libraries there, you won't have
to install them globally to debug your project.

You will just have to store your libraries executable there (it will be
automatic I think), instead on putting them inside the project directory.

But the final executable will only be able to search libraries globally,
or in the specific directory specified by the new project option.

--
Benoît Minisini